Prawn Curry is an easy & mouthwatering seafood dish.They are my favourite since childhood. Whenever we used to go to any restaurant, I used to order prawn as starters. :p They have the exotic freshness, natural flavor & succulence.
The main flavor of south Indian food are mustard seed, red chilies, curry leaves and coconut. Coconut is found in abundance in south Indian region. So coconut is used in almost all of the dishes. Lucky are people from south who are blessed with coconuts.: P 🙂 I am in love with coconut water and coconut milk. 😀 Its yummy + great for health.This is the recipe from my Mom which is prepared in south Indian method, goes well with steamed rice. However, you can also use as a side dish for roti/chapathi too.
Prawns – 500 grams, peeled and deveined
Small Onion – 1/2 cup, finely chopped or minced
Tomato – 1 in medium size
½ Fresh Coconut Grated
6- 7 garlic cloves
Ginger garlic paste – 1 and 1/2 teaspoon
Salt – to taste
Turmeric powder – a pinch
Oil – 3 tablespoons
Mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
Curry leaves – 2 string
Water – 3/4 cup
To Roast and Grind:
Coconut : 3 cup
Cumin seeds – 3/4 teaspoon
Coriander seeds / Dhania – 1 and 1/2 tablespoons
Curry leaves – 1 string
pepper corn : 10 to 12
Oil – 1 teaspoon
Red dry chilli – 6-8
Follow our facebook page : foodchannelindia
How to make prawn curry :
1)Wash the prawns and remove the spine of prawns with the help of knife. Sprinkle some salt on the cleaned prawns and keep them aside.
2. Take a pan and roast pepper corn, coriander seeds, red chilies,cumin seeds on low flame for 3 to 4 mins.
3)Combine the roasted spice along with one chopped onion, garlic cloves, fresh grated coconut. Grind them into a processor until thick paste is formed. Don’t add water.
4. Chop tomatoes, onion and coriander leaves
5. Take a big vessel add oil. Keep the gas flame on medium mode. Once oil is hot add mustard seeds.
6. Once they crackling add chopped onion, 10 to 12 curry leaves. Saute them for about 3 to 4 mins on low flame until onion color changes to soft brown.
7. Now add prawns to it. Let this cook for 2 mins.
8. Add ginger-garlic paste , turmeric powder along with our thick coconut masala. Stir all of them for a minute. It’s time to add tomatoes with few coriander leaves.
9. Add little water if required. Ideally this curry is thick and not thin. So make it as per the consistency required. For seasoning add salt to it. Sprinkle the rest of curry leaves in the curry now. Cook the curry for about 10 mins Or until prawns cook.
10. Your Prawns Curry South Indian Style is ready.
If you are fond of crab do check out authentic crab curry in south indian style.